Today is the death anniversary of K.S. Ranjitsinhji , GCSI, GBE ( full name - H.H. Jam Saheb Shri Sir Ranjitsinhji Vibhaji of Nawanaga r) also known as Ranji , was a ruler of the Princely State of Nawanagar . He is also addressed as Maharaj Jamsaheb . He was educated at Rajkumar College Rajkot and Trinity College , Cambridge . He was a noted Test Cricket and played First Class Cricket . Introduced to the game of Cricket at the age of 10 or 11, while in School , he was also the captain of School Cricket team , though at that time he preferred Tennis over Cricket . Later, while a student at the Cambridge University, he was exposed to quality Cricket. Between 1893 and 1920 he played County Cricket for Cambridge University, London County and Sussex , alongside Test Cricket for the English Team. He ahd earned reputation as a batsman of note in County Cricket. An obvious victim of racism , he was not included in the English Team for the first match in the series against Australia, but was included for the second Test match . A right- handed batsman , he played his debut match from the English side against Australia in 1896 and scored 62 & 154* runs in the match.
In his career , he played 15 Test Matches and scored 989 runs withan impressive average of 44.95.HE scored two centuries and 6 half centuries , his highest score being 175. In First Class Cricket, he played 307 matches and scored 24,692 runs with an average of 56.37. He scored 72 centuries and 109 hlf Centuries, his highest score being 285*. He was a right arm slow bowler and took 133 wickets in First Class cricket.
Apart from this , he is most remembered as a batting style called Leg Glance, invented by him after lot of hard work and practice. Most of his strokes were played on back foot over which he had attained mastery. He was also an author and wrote a book titled The Jubilee Book Of Cricket.
He died this day in 1933 at Jamnagar. To commemorate his achievements as a great Cricketer , Ranji Trophy matches were introduced by BCCI in 1934 and the Trophy was donated by Maharaja Bhupinder Singh of Patiala , who also inaugurated it in 1935.
Our humble tributes to the legendary Cricketer !