Saturday, February 5, 2022

SNOW - A MIXED BLESSING

 While this snowy season, friends are busy clicking and posting pictures of snow laden trees & snow covered roads & roofs thus indulging in an orgy of photography, and still others waxing poetic about snow and romancing about the whole thing, I am transported to my school days and the immortal Ballad 'Lucy Gray' penned so beautifully by Wordsworth. I am still moved by the sad incident of the three year old losing her way and herself in the snow, never to be found again. I am equally moved by the sad incidents of soldiers and civilians getting buried under the avalanches, caught unawares.

I am also reminded of a real life incident narrated to me by elders during my growing years about a Forest Ranger, popularly known as Mushu Miyan, who lost his life in heavy snow, and his body was found frozen,he being found in a standing posture, with a gun on the back of his shoulder and a hand holding the leash of a pet dog accompanying him.

Every time it snows I am reminded of the incident.

Snow is a mixed blessing, a life giver and a life taker.

No comments:

Post a Comment