Thursday, July 13, 2017

Saying for every occasion

There is a saying/ proverb for every occasion and some people are ever ready with it and rise to the occasion to mouth the same.I am taken back in timeline to the early '80s when a failed attempt at a competitive examination drew this jibe from one of my most inventive colleagues:
गिरते हैं शहसवार ही मैदान -ए- जंग में,
वो तिफ्ल क्या गिरेंगे जो घुटनों के बल चलते हैं

I did feel bad for a moment but was able to brush this brash remark aside.
Strictly adhering to the dictum 'try try again' so popularly attributed to the story 'King Bruce and the Spider', I made another attempt and was successful, though not to the expected extent. Assigned to a job which despite the gazetted tag carried less salary than I was drawing in a Bank, I opted to join lest my efforts and preparations should come to naught.
When asked about my salary and being told that it was less than I was drawing before, again an intelligent friend came up with the saying:

सौ के सत्तर कर दे
पर नाम दारोग़ा धर दे....
However this time my position was summed up aptly .

No comments:

Post a Comment